In early June 2021 UBC Library will transition to OpenAthens to provide students, faculty and staff with access to electronic resources off campus. The Library currently uses EZproxy to provide access to electronic resources off campus. EZproxy provides access using IP recognition.
OpenAthens provides access to Library resources using the single sign-on (SSO) authentication method. SSO only requires users enter one set of ID and password credentials to access multiple online resources. This means students, faculty and staff will be able to access electronic resources off campus using their UBC CWL login. For users, OpenAthens simplifies access to resources:
- You’ll be able to start you research from any resource (e.g.: journals, databases) within the OpenAthens federation
- Not all resources the Library subscribes to are within this federation, so you should still begin your research at the Library website
- Your CWL credentials allow you to login to multiple resources (e.g.: journals, ebooks, databases)
- You’ll only need to login once per session unless you use a new device, a new browser or clear cookies
- OpenAthens will allow for access on mobile and desktop devices.
- You’ll have access to all the same resources as before: This change will not affect the resources UBC Library subscribes to.
For the Library, the change to OpenAthens improves security and privacy, provides usage data to help the Library make informed purchasing decisions, and ensures Library compliance with eResource licensing agreements.
For additional details and support related to OpenAthens and accessing eResources off campus, please see the following resources or reach out to a member of the X̱wi7x̱wa Library team:
- Connect to Library Resources
- “Introducing OpenAthens, UBC Library’s new secure way to access online resources using CWL” by Library Communications, April 7 2021
- Includes information for faculty and instructors
- OpenAthens guide from UBC Library
- eResources & Access Help form
- X̱wi7x̱wa Library contacts:
- Research Assistance email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Circulation & Borrower Services email: email@example.com