Starting September 15 2020, UBC Library is eliminating daily overdue fines on books, journals and audio-visual (AV) materials for all library users. Here are some other important points about the Library’s update on overdue fines:
- Overdue fines for Course Reserve loans, Interlibrary loans and electronics will still apply when physical borrowing resumes.
- Fines for overdue recalled items will remain in effect. Fines on a recalled item will accumulate once the item becomes overdue.
- For overdue items that are not listed as Course Reserves and are not recalled, no overdue fines will accumulate for 28 days. Once an item is 28 days overdue, it will be deemed lost and a lost charge notice will be sent. If the item is returned, the lost charge will be dropped.
See UBC Library’s full announcement for complete information about changes to overdue fines. Please contact UBC Library Borrower Services or X̱wi7x̱wa Library Borrower Services with any questions or concerns about borrowing material or overdue fines.
Interested in learning more about library fine reduction and abolition? Check out these news articles:
- Bowman, E. (2019, November 30). ‘We wanted our patrons back’ — Public libraries scrap late fine to alleviate inequity. NPR.
- EBSCOpost. (2019, February 27). Not so fine with library fines? A look at the overdue debate. EBSCO Information Services.
- Poon, L. (2019, October 2). Why libraries are eliminating late fees for overdue books. BloombergCityLab.
Doing research about library overdue fines policies? Check out some of these selected resources to get started, but book a reference appointment for additional research help:
- Ajayi, N. A., & Okunlola, A. A. (2005). Students’ perception of fine increases for overdue library books in an academic library. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 37(4), 187-193. doi:10.1177/0961000605057850
- Crist, B., & DePriest, M. (2018). Removing barriers to access: Eliminating fines and fees for a win-win for your library and teens: Discover approaches to eliminating fines and fees for youth in your library. Young Adult Library Services, 17(1), 14.
- Davies, R., & Sen, B. (2014). Overdue books at Leeds University Library. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 46(3), 226-242. doi:10.1177/0961000613486826
- Helms, C. (2019). Eliminating overdue fines for undergraduates: A six-year review. Journal of Access Services, 16(4), 173-189. doi:10.1080/15367967.2019.1668793