Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) has launched its “Indigenous Education Protocol for Colleges and Institutes.” The Protocol highlights 7 principles that CICan has identified as being essential to meeting Indigenous peoples’ learning needs and to support self-determination and socio-economic development of Indigenous communities:
1. Commit to making Indigenous education a priority.
2. Ensure governance structures recognize and respect Indigenous peoples.
3. Implement intellectual and cultural traditions of Indigenous peoples through curriculum and learning approaches relevant to learners and communities.
4. Support students and employees to increase understanding and reciprocity among Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples.
5. Commit to increasing the number of Indigenous employees with ongoing appointments throughout the institution, including Indigenous senior administrators.
6. Establish Indigenous-centred holistic services and learning environments for learner success.
7. Build relationships and be accountable to Indigenous communities in support of self-determination through education, training and applied research.
For more information, the news release can be found at the CICan website.